03 April, 2018

The Moment « Jacob Kaplan-Moss

The Moment « Jacob Kaplan-Moss: "Then there was a moment. A short one. Social media was perfect. The bubble popped, and suddenly there were voices from outside the bubble. But it was still small, still manageable, not yet the all-consuming force it is today. I felt comfortable sharing all sorts of things. Poorly-thought-through arguments that might be wrong. Positions that didn’t track popular consensus. Politics that didn’t neatly map to left or right. Questions I could barely understand well enough to ask. The network was big enough that I’d get great feedback! If I was wrong, I’d hear about it (gently). I’d hear that my contrary view wasn’t entirely abnormal (or, that it was). Friends would engage even when my questions sucked or made stupid assumptions. I learned so, so much in this moment.

"



'via Blog this'