20 January, 2018

An Iraqi boy saved my squad in 2005 : Military

An Iraqi boy saved my squad in 2005 : Military: "I was lead vehicle gunner for PSD for a GO. I wrote home and asked for stuffed animals to be sent to me to share with the kids who lined to streets in certain areas to wave to us as we drove through. We had a mission to set up a hasty landing zone for the Boss to fly into and then go check out a bridge to an oil field that kept getting blown up. On our way there was a kid on the side of the road I tossed a teddy bear to him and he caught it and jumped up and down. This was wide open desert and the only kid in the area. After our mission was complete we returned to base to be informed the following day we would be tasked with the same mission. Set up LZ for General to land and then drive back to base after. As we headed home on our same route as the day before the kid with the bear from yesterday was in the middle of the road. He was frantically waving us to stop. I yelled down to my team leader that this was the kid from the previous day. Since the area was pretty wide open we felt safe to stop and see what was up. My team leader dismounted the truck and walked to the boy. He spoke no english and my team leader very little Arabic so the boy took his hand and to the side of the road he pulled him. The boy then reached down and moved some dirt uncovering wires and what appeared to be an IED. "



'via Blog this'