22 July, 2021

u/xain_the_idiot on life post-transition

https://www.reddit.com/r/MensLib/comments/oj6x7h/how_do_we_benefit_from_the_patriarchy/h50jhx3/

A lot of people have mentioned things like safety, and yes that is a big difference. But it's really the implications behind it. People do still stare at my body and sometimes objectify me, but they tend to do it in a way where I still feel like I have autonomy. I can make the choice to walk away, say no, etc. Before, I used to struggle to get rid of creepy men even when I called the police on them or threatened them with physical violence. I'm the same size roughly as I was before. So why do people suddenly see me as capable and autonomous? Why don't they still threaten and bully me to try to get their way? It's because women aren't seen as people by many men. They're seen as property, prizes to be won, or basically slaves who owe everything to men. I never have to feel that way when I'm passing as male. Nobody will ever make me feel like I'm worthless, subservient and inhuman just for being a man. That feeling of self ownership is so valuable to a human being. It's detrimental to the world, that so many women go about their daily lives being made to feel less than human.