23 April, 2016

Judge sentences veteran to 24 hours in jail, then joins him behind bars - U.S. - Stripes

Judge sentences veteran to 24 hours in jail, then joins him behind bars - U.S. - Stripes:

"When Joe first came to turn himself in, he was trembling," Olivera told the Fayetteville Observer. "I decided that I'd spend the night serving with him."
"Where are we going, judge?" Serna asked, the Observer's Bill Kirby Jr., reported Wednesday.
"We're going to turn ourselves in," the judge said.
As Serna sat down on the cot in his cell, WRAL reported, he heard the door rattle open again and saw Olivera standing before him. Olivera sat down beside him. Someone came and locked the door.
"This was a one-man cell so we sat on the bunk and I said, 'You are here for the entire time with me?'" Serna told WTVD. "He said, 'Yeah that's what I am doing.'"
A Gulf War veteran himself, Olivera was concerned that leaving Serna in isolation for a night would trigger his PTSD.



'via Blog this'