30 July, 2016

Zen And The Art Of Uber Driving | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

Zen And The Art Of Uber Driving | Co.Exist | ideas + impact:



I think of Uber as a modern-day version of the Works Progress Administration during the Depression. Thanks to Uber, I am not poor. I am just . . . nobody. 

When I first started driving, I talked to every passenger. I engaged in conversation about the city, life and politics. I told them about my work as a reporter, and as a strip club manager. I felt the need to say, "I'm not really an Uber driver. I am someone too. Just like you!"
Nobody cared.
I found that I could become visible or invisible at will. It’s about the voice. Say "please" and "thank you" and shut up and drive. Don’t make eye contact. People come in with their antenna up and on alert. Once they see you are no threat, they turn you off.



'via Blog this'