17 November, 2013

Yeah, Alec Baldwin Is a Bigot - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic

Yeah, Alec Baldwin Is a Bigot - Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Atlantic: This is bigotry. And it is not complicated by the fact that Baldwin supports marriage equality. One need not believe that LGBTQ human beings are equal to support their right to marry, any more than one needed to be an anti-racist to support abolition, or an anti-sexist to support women's suffrage. There any number of self-interested reasons to support the advancement of civil rights. "Let them niggers vote" or "let them fags marry" is actually a politically consistent position. It says, "I don't like you, but I'm not willing to put my tax dollars behind my dislike." Or even, "I don't like you, but I think I can profit from taking this position."