18 April, 2024

When DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM goes terribly wrong

https://www.reddit.com/r/TalesFromRetail/comments/59i985/when_do_you_know_who_i_am_goes_terribly_wrong/

Manager: Yesterday, did you have a kid come in asking to purchase a game that he preordered?

Me: Sure did, he was underage so I didn't sell it to him.

Then I go over the conversation with my boss.

Manager: I know you followed policy, but that kid's father is a well respected businessman in the area. The boy's father called my boss's boss, which in turn called me. I'm sorry, I have to let you go.

Me: ARE YOU SERIOUS? For following company policy?

Manager: Yeah, it sucks, but the father is influential in town and he suggested we let you go, and here I am. But you get two weeks severance. Don't worry about your shift today, I'm covering for you. I need your keys and your badge.

Just like that I was unemployed. All because I followed corporate policy.