31 January, 2021

ibetyoudotrebek on policing in northern VA

https://www.reddit.com/r/nova/comments/l8uwfz/so_are_there_not_any_speeding_tickets_anymore/glg2foo/?context=3


So a lot of officers (the majority, at least where I work), have decided it's easier to simply show up, answer their calls for service in their patrol areas, work them to the best of their abilities, and then go home when the shift ends. These officers used to be out, driving around, looking for DUIs/signs of driving impaired, stolen cars, felony warrants, etc. But they realized that A) they get paid the same whether they are putting up stellar proactive arrest and summons numbers or that number is zero and B) not being proactive greatly minimizes the chances of ending up in a "viral" situation.

What I mean by "viral" situation (before everyone starts yelling about "it went viral because lack of ACCOUNTABILITY) is a situation where the officer/deputy makes a decision/decisions that are within policy and within the law, yet somehow still ends up being publicly maligned for doing so. Also, I don't know how much more accountable I can get; I am required to videotape every single interaction I have with the public with no exceptions. Each and every one of these videos are available to the public through a simple FOIA request. Additionally, every report is I write has to be reviewed by a sergeant, 1st Sergeant, Lieutenant, and then records staff. Again, every single report I've ever written is available to any member of the public for any reason at any time with a simple FOIA request.

I am well aware my chosen profession does itself no favors, and I like to think I do my part to change that (ACABologists, I don't expect to change anyone's opinion, so 1312 away). What the public seems to not understand is that police involved incidents a best viewed department to department, and not indicative of the profession as a whole. What I mean by that is, an officer could do the dirtiest most fucked up thing in Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, wherever. And they could get caught and charged; the whole circus. But what they did in THAT jurisdiction has absolutely zero to do with an officer/deputy in a separate department/county (A loudoun county deputy commits a crime and gets charged; that has absolutely nothing to do with a Fairfax or Arlington officer). They don't know each other, they don't work with each other, they have a separate set of policies and procedures, report to different supervisors, etc. But that specific incident then gets magnified and broadcasted and the public sees it and thinks "Yeah, I bet the cops around here do the same thing". They don't. They're not even in the same jurisdiction.