26 May, 2018

On Jeffrey Tambor, Second Chances, and Forgiveness - Erick on the Radio

On Jeffrey Tambor, Second Chances, and Forgiveness - Erick on the Radio:

The mob mentality of social media is one of its worst aspects. Any person or business may have the mob summoned against it. If the social media mob disagrees with a business owner’s views, it will harass the business and try to ruin its reputation until the business owner conforms. Disagree with a person’s politics, religion, views, votes, or even clothing choices and watch the mob pick up digital pitchforks to demand apology and conformity.
Just as dangerous, political and polite disagreements can be magnified, amplified, and weaponized. Say something provocative or disagreeable and watch as others attempt to harm you with it. There are, to this day, things I have done and said that others think I should apologize for. As much as I have learned that I must apologize when I have done something wrong, the equally valuable corollary has been to hunker down and weather the storm of social media scorn and mob demands for conformity when I believe I am right and Legion thinks I am wrong.


'via Blog this'