10 June, 2014

Hundreds Gather to Remember 6-Year-Old Victim of Brooklyn Stabbing - NYTimes.com

Hundreds Gather to Remember 6-Year-Old Victim of Brooklyn Stabbing - NYTimes.com: In a rousing, wide-ranging eulogy, the Rev. David K. Brawley, the church’s lead pastor, said, “I’ve been grabbing all the babies this week. And one of the babies said to me, ‘My mommy said when you preach on Friday you’re going to be mad.’ Well, I am mad. But I’m equally sad about what happened to this community and this family and this child.”

He went on, “We’re here to celebrate P.J.’s life but we must acknowledge that his life was ended way too soon.”

He said, “We should be comfortable with God, but there’s no way we should be comfortable with what happened. You should not be comfortable in this community until our children have safe spaces.”