22 September, 2013

Rollie Chance, Wrongly Suspected Navy Yard Shooter: I Thought 'This Must Be A Joke'

Rollie Chance, Wrongly Suspected Navy Yard Shooter: I Thought 'This Must Be A Joke': There are benefits to being presumed dead in a situation like this one. For one thing, Chance didn't receive any threats from people who thought he was the shooter. But there are obvious horrors as well. Friends and family began frantically calling, as did church groups, neighbors and teachers at his daughter's school.

"The first thing they were worried about was that they got the report that I was dead," he said. "I was supposed to be the shooter and shooter was killed. So, there was a lot of emotion. Many of the teachers at my daughter's school thought I was dead. So the first thing I let them know was that I was alive and I was OK."

"They wanted to know, 'How did my name get in there?' and the only thing I could think of was the badge," he added.