19 September, 2015

After Slavery Ordeal, Fisherman Finds Self Without a Country - ABC News

After Slavery Ordeal, Fisherman Finds Self Without a Country - ABC News:

I never had any name. Bing is the name the Thai gave me.
I didn't know where my parents were from. I heard they were Burmese but I never knew them. I was living in Ranong (in Thailand). ... A lot of people knew me because I was a beggar. I wonder if they still remember me.
I was taken to a fishing boat and was told by the Thai captain he could give me a good job. I never knew we were going to Indonesia. When I realized that's where we were going, I pleaded to go back. The captain said I didn't have any documents, so I couldn't go. I didn't have papers, not even a birth certificate, because I didn't have parents. So I had to spend all my time at the fishing boat. I was never paid for my work.
I don't want to stay here alone. I want to go back with my friends. ... I don't know if I can find anyone in Thailand or Myanmar, but I just want to go back. I don't know how to live here. I'm afraid to be here alone.


'via Blog this'