31 January, 2015

I don’t know what to do, you guys | Fredrik deBoer

I don’t know what to do, you guys | Fredrik deBoer:

That’s always how this conversation goes down: if you say, hey, we
appear to have a real problem with how we talk to other people, we are
losing potential allies left and right, then the response is always
“stop lecturing women of color.” But these codes aren’t enforced
by women of color, in the overwhelming majority of the time. They’re
enforced by the children of privilege. I know. I live here. I am on
campus. I have been in the activist meetings and the lefty coffee
houses. My perspective goes beyond the same 200 people who write the
entire Cool Kid Progressive Media.



Amanda Taub says political correctness “doesn’t exist.” To which I can only ask, how would you know?
I don’t understand where she gets that certainty. Is Traub under the
impression that the Vox offices represents the breadth of left-wing
culture? I read dozens of tweets and hot take after hot take, insisting
that there’s no problem here, and it’s coming overwhelmingly from people
who have no idea what they’re talking about.