29 May, 2013

The Legend of Taize at Pine Ridge: A Memorial Day Weekend in 4,000 Words | The Burner

The Legend of Taize at Pine Ridge: A Memorial Day Weekend in 4,000 Words | The Burner: The prayer bell rings. It is time for a Taiz�service: songs, prayer, silence and song. But the sunset begs me to keep my seat on the prairie on Robert Two Bulls’ land in front of Christ Church Episcopal in Red Shirt, South Dakota.

The setting sun runs a slow relay between the threatening clouds and the Black Hills. It feels sacred, but what is going on in the shallow ravine in the vast Badlands canyon behind me is sacred, too. What do I choose? Plus, I’m a sucker for sunsets.

I don’t know how to feel. I had been warned that Pine Ridge was a very difficult place, but it seemed really peaceful here in Red Shirt.