30 March, 2024

One Approach To Leadership Reflection

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/one-approach-leadership-reflection-aliya-bhatia

This fall, I’ve had several requests to share my leadership reflection practice. I felt it couldn’t hurt to write it down, for my own benefit to examine where it stands and for the benefit of others looking to refine their own reflection process.

There are 2 important premises to this exercise that are far more essential than any specific reflection approach.

First, the reason for these journals is that my memory (like that of most humans) is short, selective, and quite revisionist. These journals are designed to let me capture in short-hand various big picture ideas, personal histories, and readings. When starting a new project or a new job, I have my reflections at my fingertips: Checklists about how to launch a new team, strategies to harness the brilliance of a diverse group of people, and a glimpse of how I have handled (or, mishandled) similar situations in the past.