21 August, 2018

BolshevikMuppet on Safe Spaces

https://np.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/98wvn4/cmv_safe_spaces_are_unnecessary_fluff_i_didnt/e4jd0e4/ 
Safe spaces are a dangerous concoction, as they do not exist in the real world
Really?
What do you think would happen if I went to an AA meeting and starting taking pictures of the participants, or screaming about how they’re all just weak-willed babies who need to learn how to drink responsibly?
That’s a safe space.
How about my local libertarian party? Think they’ll particularly accept me going to their private meeting to be belligerent toward them and insulting of their views?
Safe space.
Would you let me in your house to tell you how much you suck? That’s sure as hell a safe space.
How can I know my hard-earned money is going to prepare my niece for the real world if the control is in the administration's hands?
The “real world” looks a lot more like the supposed fragility of college students than anything like the anarchic “academic freedom” advocated by people who misunderstand safe spaces as something more than “no, you don’t get to be belligerent at all times in all places.”
In the real world if I don’t like what you have to say, I can kick you out of my office. If YouTube doesn’t like what you have to say, they can kick you off their platform.
If there’s a group in need of more realistic expectations, it’s those who think the “real world” and “free speech” entitles them to speak their mind wherever they’d like free from all forms of restriction.