29 July, 2017

Why so many transgender Americans find refuge in military service - The Washington Post

Why so many transgender Americans find refuge in military service - The Washington Post: "I write this today from a dorm room, having just completed my first year of college. Without the military, I know my life would look very different. I cannot stand quietly by while a man who dodged the draft attempts to take options away from people who want to serve their country and improve their lives. The transgender troops I know are some of the best people I have had the pleasure of meeting. They live authentically and support their teammates, putting the mission and team integrity before themselves. They excel, they work hard, and they serve with honor. We deserve the same opportunities as our cisgender peers and the same respect. Denying transgender people the same opportunities as our cisgender peers is not only dehumanizing and disrespectful, it is fundamentally un-American.

"



'via Blog this'