13 September, 2012

Romney: I wouldn’t turn down Netanyahu meeting

This is Netanyahu playing politics again - Israel chose to make this a big deal, but one of these days, it's going to be an overreach for the mainstream US. I think it's already gone past that for the rest of the world, though there's anti-Semetism at work there as well.

Romney: I wouldn’t turn down Netanyahu meeting: While greeting supporters in Jacksonville, Fla. after his press conference on the attacks in Egypt and Libya, Mitt Romney took a subtle swipe at President Obama’s relations with Israel.

“I can’t ever imagine if the Prime Minister of Israel asked to meet with me, I can’t imagine ever saying no,” Romney said when asked about Israel, according to a pool report. “They’re our friends. They’re our closest allies in the Middle East.”

Amid tension over how to stop Iran’s nuclear program, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had sought a meeting with Obama when they both attend the annual United Nations General Assembly in New York later this month. The White House told Jerusalem that a meeting was impossible, because the two leaders would not be in the city at the same time.