05 June, 2017

CommodoreCoCo comments on James Lowen in "Lies My Teacher Told Me" claims that historians view all the high history books with disdain because of how much is omitted and warped, my question is how do you historians view his book "Lies My Teacher Told Me"?

CommodoreCoCo comments on James Lowen in "Lies My Teacher Told Me" claims that historians view all the high history books with disdain because of how much is omitted and warped, my question is how do you historians view his book "Lies My Teacher Told Me"?: "I cannot understate the importance of a diversity of sources. We can never really "know the truth," and even then "the truth" is so multi-faceted that it is hardly "a" truth. The best we can do is examine all of the resources at our disposal, contextually evaluate them, and craft some kind of narrative with a conscious perspective. In my own studies I must frequently fight for the incorporation of voices that don't fit the "dastardly Spanish colonialist" or "Quechua-speaking indio with a peaceful spirituality" archetypes. So many voices have been silenced, particularly in the history of the Americas, that it's a prerogative to actively consider historically overlooked perspectives. This does not mean that they are automatically equivalent sources worthy of scholarly consideration.
"



'via Blog this'